So I was lucky enough to go on a safari last year, and then AGAIN this year! I am so so so grateful too!
This being said, packing for a safari can sometimes be a little bewildering: animals everywhere, mosquitoes too, oh and let’s not forget the tse tse fly.
Is it going to be hot? cold? how much clothes do I actually need?
So here it is, how to pack for your safari:
- Before you go ahead and buy a bunch of clothes, take a look through your closet: is there anything you do not wear or do not want anymore? Make a pile of your unwanted clothes. This is important because you can bring these items to Africa, and them give away to people who will gladly accept it (I usually do this for most of the stuff I bring, especially when you know you will want to buy souvenirs!)
- Then, look if any of these items are SAFARI coloured (neutrals like: beige, dark green, camouflage, grey, brown etc.) NO BLACK colours because the tse tse fly loves it.
- Then you can go and buy whatever you might be missing.
Here is what you will need for a 5 day safari (the list really isn’t that long):
- One t-shirt or tank top a day.
- One or two pairs of long pants
- One pair of leggings
- Two pairs of shorts
- One long sleeve
- 1 pair of shoes (closed shoes is better, the colour does not matter so much but try to stay in the same tones, if possible).
- Underwear, socks, and bathing suit (for lodges)
- Evening clothes (sweater, jeans, anything comfy)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunblock and repellent
- Personal toiletries and first aid kit
- Malaria pills
- Camera, (extra) batteries, adaptors, binoculars, extra memory card.
So there you go. Fit it all in a backpack and you are done!
Did I forget anything? Comment below!