So, this was my first try at a gluten-free/vegan dessert and I must say, it was Amazing. I actually searched for a recipe to make and got a sudden urge for pie. But… baking a pie involves so much flour and usually a little bit of a mess. So I found this recipe which looks really delicious, but I didn’t have the coconut cream to make it nor the pecans, and I also had so many strawberries I needed to use. So I did what I usually do best, I modified and adapted.
This pie is not really quite like the pies North Americans are used to, but it has a crunchy (and super healthy) crust. We absolutely loved it and will definitely make it again.
I thought of mixing the strawberries with chia seeds rather than cornstarch, has anyone every done this before?
Leave any comments below if you make this recipe 🙂
For the pie crust:
– Coconut oil (to grease your pie dish)
– 1 cup raw almonds
– 1 cup dates, pitted (microwave in a bit of water to soften them)
– 3/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
– 2 tsp raw honey (or maple syrup).
For the strawberries:
– 4 cups fresh strawberries, diced
– 3 tbsp cornstarch
– 3/4 cup of raw sugar (unprocessed)
- Grease a regular sized pie dish or pan (9.5inch diameter)
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, cornstarch, and sugar together until the fruits are evenly coated. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- To make the crust, blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. (A blender can also do, but I would suggested blending almonds first and add other ingredients one at the time).
- Press the mixture/dough into the bottom and sides of the pan as evenly as possible.
- Pour the strawberries over the crust
- Bake at 350F/176C for about 15 minutes.