As a kid, when I would bake with my mom, she would always tell me: “Take out all the ingredients before you start baking. That way you know if there is anything missing and you can go buy it”.
Well… even if I always hear her telling me this… I don’t have enough counter space. So I usually do the dry ingredients first and then the wet ingredients.
This time, I was missing most of the ingredients for my recipe. I definitely did not feel like going to the store, and so I started using the alternatives I already knew.
I am really happy with the turnout of this vegan, gluten-free cake. The texture came out great and the taste was heavenly ehehe. Just a warning: it is pretty filling because of the quinoa, flaxseeds and avocado!
So here it is for you to make as well!
Recipe modified from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/decadent-chocolate-cake/
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 12 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup avocado, puree
- 1 1/4 cups panela (raw, unprocessed sugar)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate, passion fruit and mango jam (bought at the Choco Museo in Peru)
- Chopped almonds (optional)
- Cook the quinoa in water and let it cool. 1/2 cup dried quinoa will make about 2 cups cooked. Make a little extra just in case.
- Preheat the oven at 350F or 176C. Lightly grease two round cake pans (I used coconut oil for this).
- In a measuring cup, combine the flaxseeds and water together. Mix well.
- Using a blender or food processor, combine the milk, flaxseeds, and vanilla. Then add the cooked quinoa and avocado and blend until the mixture is smooth (and it will be slightly green!).
- In a large bowl, combine the cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the mixture from then blender into the large bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pans.
- Cook for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out smooth.
- Remove the cake from the over and after about 20 minutes, take it out of the pans and let it cool completely.
- Cover with chocolate, passion fruit, and mango jam and with chopped almonds if desired.