Planning a trip is so much fun. I love researching, packing, getting on the plane and arriving to a brand new place and all the new things, adventures and flavours ahead. However, preparing can also get overwhelming: where to go? when? researching, being afraid to bring too much or too little, forgetting something important, etc.
Here are some tips to preparing for a trip:
- Choose a place you want to go to. This can also be hard when your bucket list is long, so pick one according to the season you will be travelling (avoid rainy seasons, touristy seasons, etc).
- Think of what most attracts you to visit this country. My tops are usually mountaineering, scuba diving, and culture. This will help you research, plan, and prioritise the activities and must-dos while you are there. Do a thorough research online and in travel guides/books. However, try to not look at too many pictures on the Internet, this will allow some surprises when you get there.
- Plan, but allow for flexibility: plans usually change along the way, and these should be embraced. A strict schedule and making all your reservations beforehand can be limiting.
- Pack right: LISTS LISTS LISTS. This will help you sort out what you need to bring. Also, as you highlight what you have, you know what you are missing and what you need to get.
My lists normally include these 4:
– One for personal hygiene and first aid kit.
– Another for specific equipment I will need. In this trip, I need mountain geer, so all those items are on a separate list.
– Other clothing
– Electronics and travel essentials (visas, passports, cards, etc).
5. Spread everything on the ground in piles: this gives you a visual panorama of what you are bringing and you can switch, add, or eliminate things.
Did I leave anything important out?
What are your top travel tips?
Share in the comments below 🙂